Friday, December 16, 2005

Christmas Shopping

Christmas shopping as a substantial non infringing, DRM hating, democratist can be a little confusing.

Never let it be said that I don't support the music industry - I just bought 8 CDs- none of them copy protected - made sure of that. I would really have rather purchased iTunes credits but couldn't bring myself to do it, even though I know the people I were buying for don't care about DRM. The thing about DRM on iTunes is that it is wide enough at the moment (debateable) but I for one bet that it doesn't stay that way. There is absolutely nothing stopping the recording industry from insisting that it be narrowed with massive ramifications for fair use. It will happen, along with creeping prices.

The minute iTunes start selling DRM free music I will be the first one there.

The minute they start individual prosecutions in this country it will be the last cent they see from me.

The CD I bought for myself is even available as an authorised download (see EFF's site for a list) but I chose to pay. In fact I have never downloaded unauthorised music only stuff on that list and classical music. What I have actually been doing with p2p software in fact, is just searching - for terms like 'cover' and 'live' and 'remix' - I have been trying to nut out a way to demonstrate the way file sharing allows for the participation in culture... I plan to do a comprehensive study next year but averages is the most sophisticated methodology I have come up with so far. Its really hard to structure because the content of the networks is so dynamic.